The Directorate of Information Technology, pronounced as "DIT" has been created in the year 2002, vide G.O.Ms.No.59, dated 19-07-2002 in order to give fillip to IT related activities in the Union Territory of Puducherry. This Directorate is currently involved in the following activities:
- Acting as a Nodal Office for purchase of computer and related accesssories, software, etc.
- Providing technical assistance in all IT Activities to Government Departments.
- Implementing Mission Mode Projects envisaged under National e-Governance Plan of Ministry of Communication and Information Technology, New Delhi.
- Framing I.T./I.T.E.S. Policies and implementation of these Policies.
- Bring-in increased transparency, efficiency and accountability in Government operations through e-Governance.
- Extending support to Government Departments towards the preparation of Detailed Project Reports, preparation of Request for Proposals, Bid Process Management and Implementation Support for e-Governance activities.
- Training Government Officials.
- Controlling Puducherry e-Governance Society.
Minister for Information Technology